He died for your entertainment 💔
Please share Popkei’s story to raise awareness throughout the fireworks season.
Popkei, a beautiful Friesian horse, had been poorly for a while, and was diagnosed earlier in the year with heart failure. Despite vets saying he could pass away at any moment, he fought through, and would run out to the field most mornings with his best friend, Shandy 🐴
Tragically, over the weekend, after consecutive evenings of local residents launching fireworks, the stress took its toll on Popkei. His heart didn’t cope as well as it should have, and on 5th November 2019, we had to say goodbye to our beloved horse.
Now, we want Popkei’s heart-breaking story to reiterate the importance of not setting fireworks off near animals. Under the Animal Welfare Act 2006, it is an offence if:
a) An act of his, or a failure of his to act, causes an animal to suffer
b) He knew, or ought reasonably to have known, that the act, or failure to act, would have that effect or be likely to do so
c) The animal is a protected animal, and
d) The suffering is unnecessary.
If found guilty, this offence can carry a fine of up to £20,000 and/or a prison term of up to six months.
And it’s not just livestock who suffer – thousands of animals up and down the country are petrified of the loud explosions, including dogs, cats, and not to mention our native wildlife.
We are urging people and organisations to reconsider displays after the tragic event that occurred at the sanctuary in November 2019 😢
Sign up here for the fun updates from the animals, information about the latest news at the sanctuary and exclusive offers and events.
Join Hopefield’s mailing list to be the first to know about all things happening at the sanctuary and exclusive offers and events!